Sunday, February 20, 2011

Balancing Act

"Commit your work to the Lord, and your work will be established." Provers 16:3

Several of you know this, but I am beyond blessed in my workplace. My bosses put family first and make it a high priority in the workplace - my co-workers feel more like family to me than co-workers. That said, when I approached my bosses about 2 years ago - at five months pregnant and worried about the future (silly me!), they willingly accepted my proposal to not only drop down to part-time, but to also work three days a week from home. I get to work 4 hours a day when I'm at home, and then do two full days in the office.

Two years later, and I'm amazed at the Lord's provisions to my family and career. I've had to do several balancing acts and schedule adjustments, but at the end of the day, my family is fed, the laundry is (somewhat) done, Mackie is sleeping soundly, and the "real world" work gets done for the day.

It's all about balancing priorities and using each nugget of time to the fullest. Each stage in Mackie's development creates another unique scheduling "opportunity" for me and my work hours. Right now, my day starts at 5:30 a.m. on those days I'm at home with Mackie - I try to get a good 1-2 hours of work in before she rises for the day. The rest of my work comes from not only the short snippets of time during Sesame Street or other playtime activities (you'd be amazed at what I can accomplish in 10-15 minute segments!) but a good bulk comes during her 2-2 1/2 hour nap time in the afternoon. Yes, there are days when I work late when Jack gets home - or I do some things on the weekend - but I love my job and actually look forward to working during the "off-hours."

My new challenge is to carve out more time with the Lord. I'm an early riser, but for some reason I've been struggling with waking up 30 minutes early to spend time in the Word. I've done it before going to bed for the longest time, but you know how that goes - you get sleepy and your precious time in the Word becomes barely keeping the eyes open to read a chapter in the Bible. I'm challenging myself to start the day off immediately with God's Word - because it's that precious to me! (you can hold me to it, friends!)

So there's just a snippet inside my day! I love balancing mommy and marketing director. Yes, there are days when I wish I could "just" be a mommy or "just" be a marketing director - but overall, I love having the opportunity to do both. Ultimately, though, my most important job is that I teach my daughter all about Jesus, His Word, and how to be a responsible, caring, loving, compassionate, and respectful individual in this world. I can't let my "real world" job get in the way of this super important ministry!

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Kudos Amy - I definitely know what goes on being a PT working mommy! I was at the office yesterday from 4-6pm and then came home and was up until 130am doing an order. It's hard some days - but SOOOOOO worth getting to see our kiddos grow up and change - daily! Hang in there.

Visitors