Sunday, April 10, 2011

A Total Surprise...and Another Miracle!

I eluded to this in my last post, but finding out we were pregnant with Baby #2 (which, by the way, needs a catchy womb name!) was a complete surprise!

I had a miscarriage at just 6 weeks pregnant in late January. I was supposed to go in for follow-up blood work in early February, but happened to miss it due to being out of town, a blizzard attacking Hutchinson, and just plain forgetfulness.

Toward the end of February, when I realized my forgetfulness, I called the nurse to even see if it was necessary to do blood work from a miscarriage that happened so many weeks ago. She said to come on in - chances are everything was normal and we could start trying again when we were ready, but she wanted to make sure. I found it funny when she called me back only a few hours after I had done my blood work. A  conversation run-down:

Nurse: "Well...I don't know how to really explain this, but your hormone levels are up."

Me: "Up from what?"

Nurse: "Definitely up from the levels they were several weeks ago. But we need you to come back in two days to see if they're doubling."

I knew exactly what that meant. Doubling = chance of pregnancy.

I went back two days later, and sure enough, the levels had more than doubled. Fast forward a week later, and Jack and I were staring at a large-screen sonogram shot of our baby, hearing that we were indeed expecting a little one on Oct. 30th (they had to do a sonogram when I was just over 6 weeks to confirm a due date since we had no clue from our miscarriage several weeks earlier).

We left that sonogram room scared, excited, flabbergasted, scared, nervous, giddy, and just plain scared. We certainly hadn't planned on trying to have a baby so soon after our miscarriage....and we definitely didn't think we'd conceive one so soon, especially since it took about 15 months to get pregnant with Mackie.

For the last six weeks, I've been in complete amazement over God's timing and His sovereign plans in our lives. Our family "planning" just goes to prove that I'm not in control....God is! And what a marvelous maker He is - one who has given us a new life to love, to hold, and to teach about God's goodness, His mercy, and His everlasting love for us.

There's the short and sweet version of it. Now we need a womb name. Mackie's name was Wrigley, home of the Chicago Cubs. Wonder what Cubs name we could give this little guy/gal while he/she is baking?!

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

What an awesome, TRUE surprise you have received! Very cool story to pass along - what a miracle. :-) Sorry - don't know any Cubs stuff....will be no help in a womb name!

Tressa said...

How about Cubbie?

Sarah said...

Always humbling to realize whose timing our life is on :) So happy for the three of you!

Team Andrews said...

We are so excited for you! Congrats! What a wonderful surprise!

Jen Gehring said...

Im very excited for you guys! I got goosebumps reading this!!! You guys are so amazing and thats going to be one lucky baby to have you and jack and Mackie as family!!

Visitors