Friday, May 27, 2011

Early Bird




As I've written before, Mackenzie Claire is an early riser. By early, I mean that she typically rises between 6:30-7 a.m. - not early for Jack and I, but early compared to some of her friends who like to sleep in until 8 or 8:30 a.m. (oh, how I would love to know what that's like!).

This last week, however, our early riser has become an even earlier riser. I'm talking she wants to get up when daddy goes to the gym/mommy starts her work day at 5:30 a.m. She'll usually go back down, but not for long. By 6:15 a.m. she's cheerfully yelling our names. (side note: I do make her stay in there another 15-20 minutes, just for the sake of her knowing it's not quite time to get out and about yet)

Sigh.

I'm not upset that she's happily awake - I just dread the fact that by 11:30 a.m., I have a girl who wants to conk out on me. This isn't really an option in the Conkling household this summer, as daddy's working later and I'd love to push her nap back so the afternoon doesn't seem quite so long!

I have a feeling it's due to the birds chirping (loudly) and sun starting to peek through her windows, but I'm not totally sold on that fact. Or, it could be the fact that her mama was an early riser, too, at that age and loved coming into her mommy and daddy's room at 6:30 a.m. on a Saturday morning, only to be told to go back to bed over.and.over.again.

I'll be making a trip to the store this weekend to purchase some darker curtains. I'm also tempted to push back bed-time to 8:30 p.m. - not unrealistic, considering it's summertime and I'd love to be out and about later. I just can't guarantee she'll sleep later (been there, done that....and it did not work!).

I'll keep you posted on our early bird. Any suggestions from you lovely mamas out there would be appreciated!

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

I hate to say it, but some kids just don't need as much sleep as others. But the fact that she wants to crash before lunch makes it hard, I know. Ugh. I think you're on the right track - try some darkening shades...although I never invested in them fearing my kids would NEVER sleep unless it was completely black. I don't know if there's truth to that or not - just my feeling. And a later bedtime - I'm all for that! But like you said, if it doesn't make her sleep in later, what's the point? Sorry - I'm no help at all...hang in there - and hey, at least she's waking up happy!?! :-)

Visitors