Before the summer began, Jack informed me that I HAD to take a day to myself. No work (including the checking of e-mails, my biggest weakness). No Mackie. No Jack. Just me, myself, and I.
I took a comp day from the office on Friday, turning my three-day Labor Day holiday weekend into a four-day one. Gotta love comp days - and having Fridays off of work!
I could have easily filled my to-do list with appointments, errands to run, grocery shopping, and laundry. But I followed my husband's strict instructions (he's SO smart!) and only put one item on the to-do list. The rest of my day was completely MINE and FREE! (and oh so freeing it was!)
Here's a run-down of my glorious day alone:
- Beautiful run/walk that didn't involve pushing a 29-pound toddler in a jogging stroller (a great resistance workout, but a LOT more work these days being 8 months preggo), and that didn't involve me cutting it short because of work schedules, toddler meltdowns, etc.
- A trip to Hastings, where I received store credit after cleaning out some super-old CD's (think: Celine Dion and WOW 1996) and checked out a chick flick with my store credit. (side note: We watched the chick flick last night - "Something Borrowed." Wasn't terrible, but wasn't great, FYI.)
- A much-needed haircut, where my hairdresser even straightened my hair. I never take the time to straighten my hair, and even when I do, it doesn't look near as cute as when she does it. I think the last time I wore my hair straight was back in the spring, when she cut my hair.
- A trip to Starbucks for a decaf latte and some glorious time in God's Word and the Bible study I'm working through (again), "Extreme Spiritual Makeover." It was a precious time where I didn't have to look at the clock and worry about rushing through anything!
- A power nap after lunch. Enough said!
- A trip to Hobby Lobby for some paint, ribbon, and other fun goodies as I prepare to paint canvases and do some other crafty projects on our holiday home repair/update weekend.
Before I knew it, 3:30 p.m. rolled around and my hubbie was calling to let me know he was on his way home. It was a treat going with him to Bogey's happy hour followed by the pick-up our dear daughter from the sitter.
Thanks, Jack, for the wonderful suggestion - and forcing me to take a day to myself. Have I said how much I love this man?! I think he knew how much I'd need the alone day....we're going to be moving Mackie to her big girl bed in a few short days!