Monday, November 14, 2011

Bittersweet Basketball

It's here.

Basketball season has arrived, as today marks the first practice of many for Jack and his fellow high school basketball coaches. It's a bittersweet time because while I love, love, love basketball and watching my husband do something he loves (coaching!), I also miss the precious time we spend together as a family.

The first few weeks of the season are especially tough. After weeks of having Jack home by 4 p.m., I have to adjust to having him home at 7 p.m. or so (and adjusting the kiddos to this schedule, too - especially Mackie, who has grown quite fond of waiting for daddy at the window and then rushing to the back door to let him in). Laid-back Saturday mornings won't be as relaxed and we'll actually have to set an alarm clock to make sure Jackson gets out the door in time for practice.

It seems to go by faster - and easier - once games begin, though. There's something fun about being a coach's wife and cheering on not only your husband, but the kids he coaches. As a former Lady Crusader, it's even more fun watching my husband coach for my Alma Mater and carry on the rich tradition of Buhler girls basketball.

But alas, I have to admit that I get cranky at times during the season. When I'm tired of Jack being home so late. When I'm frustrated that I have to get the kids fed, bathed, and off to bed by myself (not to mention weary after spending all day taking care of their every need). When I'm selfish and want to do a long run on a Saturday morning without having to set an alarm clock, just so I can make sure to squeeze it in before he leaves for practice. When I'm just plain sinful and not the supportive, loving wife and partner God calls me to be toward my husband.

Therefore I'm prepping now for the season ahead. Because of my sinful nature, I know I'll need to focus and really work on these areas this season to be the best support system to Jack:

- Patience: "Love is patient and kind...." (1 Corin. 13:4a)
- Humility: "Love does not envy or boast, it is not arrogant or rude..." (1 Corin. 13:4b)
- Selflessness: "It does not insist on its own way...." (1 Corin. 13:5a)
- Support: "It is not irritable or resentful...." (1 Corin. 13:5b)
- Endurance: "Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends." (1 Corin. 13:7-8a)

Thank you, Lord, for giving my husband the opportunity to coach - something he truly loves to do!

No comments:

Visitors