Saturday, May 26, 2012

Sweet Promises

I have told some of my close friends this as I've laid out my struggles with this entire trial, but it seems that despite reading and knowing the Word of God, it's never enough - especially when persecution like this strikes. In the hours and days following the Hutch News article on Jack and the evil comments, e-mails, and mass media blow-up, I felt lost when I picked up my Bible. I didn't know where to even start, where to even go, or what to even think.

That's where my sweet sisters in Christ stepped in. Instead of saying the usual "it's okay - you'll get there and you'll just find what you need to read," they sent me texts or even read with me certain Scriptures that they had been going through or found ones that they thought would bring Jack and I some comfort.

One such passage is found in Psalm 91. I've read it several times this week after my sweet friend read it and then proceeded to pray over me. Every.single.word struck a chord. I found myself highlighting the entire passage because I just couldn't get enough.

Psalm 91 (ESV)
He who dwells in athe shelter of the Most High
will abide in bthe shadow of the Almighty.
I will say1 to the Lord, “My crefuge and my dfortress,
my God, in whom I etrust.”
For he will deliver you from fthe snare of the fowler
and from the deadly pestilence.
He will gcover you with his pinions,
and under his hwings you will ifind refuge;
his jfaithfulness is ka shield and buckler.
lYou will not fear mthe terror of the night,
nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in darkness,
nor the destruction that wastes at noonday.
A thousand may fall at your side,
ten thousand at your right hand,
but it will not come near you.
You will only look with your eyes
and nsee the recompense of the wicked.
Because you have made the Lord your odwelling place—
the Most High, who is my crefuge2
10 pno evil shall be allowed to befall you,
qno plague come near your tent.
11 rFor he will command his sangels concerning you
to tguard you in all your ways.
12 On their hands they will bear you up,
lest you ustrike your foot against a stone.
13 You will tread on vthe lion and the wadder;
the young lion and xthe serpent you will ytrample underfoot.
14 “Because he zholds fast to me in love, I will deliver him;
I will protect him, because he aknows my name.
15 When he bcalls to me, I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble;
I will rescue him and chonor him.
16 With dlong life I will satisfy him
and eshow him my salvation.”

No comments:

Visitors