Saturday, June 16, 2012

Our Spirited Little Miss

It's never a dull moment in our house with this little lady - and this week has been no exception.

When I asked her why she dressed that way, she emphatically told me she was going to the store - as if we all go to the store dressed like this!

She's two months away from turning three and she'll sure let you know it. When people ask how old she is, she gleefully holds up two fingers and then tells them, "I'm turning three in August - August 13." We teach her well.

That said, she's moving into the "spirited" three's. I've been told by several mamas with older children that 2's were one thing, but 3's were an entirely different ball game. I know it depends on the child and the discipline tactics, however we're getting into full force with tantrums and the "I'm-going-to-do-whatever-I-want-because-I'm-the-boss," followed by lots of love, snuggles, and a weepy "I'm sorry for doing (fill in the blank)." It happened this week with the sitter. It's happened several times at home throughout the week. And this morning took all of them by storm when she had to leave a fun daddy-daughter breakfast at a restaurant because she started to scream "I want to go home! I want to go home! I want to go home NOW!" (Jack couldn't find the restroom fast enough!)

Discipline is in full force (again) in our house. I find that we go through cycles - and it will continue as she grows into a little girl, lady, and (dreading already!) the tween and teen years. I keep going back to a loose paraphrase of something I read several months ago - "Teens are not made when they're 12, 13, and 14 years old. They're developed when they are 2, 3, and 4."

So here we go (again) with finding that happy heart of hers and helping her understand why she must be disciplined, as well as showing her the beautiful acts of forgiveness, mercy, and grace. It's an incredible lesson that this mommy needs as well - over and over and over again.


No comments:

Visitors