Sunday, August 26, 2012

Mama on the Run Musings: A Three-Day Weekend Ahead!


For the Week of: 8.26-9.2

I don't know about y'all, but I cannot wait for a three-day weekend! Labor Day cannot get here fast enough. I'm already planning out what fun we'll do as a family and relishing in the fact that I can run as long and whenever I want with hubs at home for the day. Yippee!

But until then...it's time to get to work!

Several of my pals who are training for various races - 10K's or half-marathons - ran the farthest distance they've ever gone this past week. For those 26.2-mile mamas, they ran their first 18-20 miler. For those 13.1-mile mamas, they conquered that first double-digit run. For those 10K mamas, they pumped out 6 miles. Way to go, gals!

Seeing their Facebook posts bring back the memories and waves of emotion when I felt like I conquered the world and ran my first 6 miles...and then 10 miles...and then 13.1 miles...and then 16 miles....and then 18 miles...and then 20 miles....and then 26.2 miles. Whatever the distance, it didn't matter. There's something awesome about setting your sights on a distance and then crossing that "finish line" during a training run.  My finish line on training runs is my mailbox. I feel free - despite my tired legs and lungs - and so happy that I could float all day long (or at least until I took a shower and realized that my body probably could go for a nap that day!)

It's a big reason why I sucker myself into training for a 10-mile race...or a half-marathon...or (Lord-willing!) another full marathon next year when I turn 30. It's like the urge to have another baby - God deletes all of the pregnancy pains and "big" feelings, sleepless nights, and days when you want to tear your hair out because your sweet babe won't sleep, just so you can do it all over again. (And we're done with having babes for all of you out there who are "reading between the lines!") These "urges" happen in racing, too.

I looked into a few more races this last week and have definitely decided on doing the Turkey Trot 10-miler on Nov. 17. Jury is still out on the Sept. 9 Tanganiyka 15K - it all depends on the family September schedule.

Now onto another week of running and health/wellness efforts, complete with:
- Tempo 4-5 miler
- Easy 5-6 miler
- Speed or high intensity interval training (HIIT) cross training day
- Easy 3-4 miler
- Long 9-10 miler
- Cross training day
Weekly mileage goal: 21-25 miles

And for nutrition efforts:
- Continue with only two pops/week
- Didn't make fish for the fam this week, but will try a new fish recipe this week!
- Make dinner at least five nights this week and enjoy it around the table. (Some dinners on the menu: Fish tacos, Chili, Chicken Rice Casserole)
- Plan out some fun and new lunch option for the kidlets

Have a great week! Feel free to share what's going on in your world of training so we can inspire each other as we continue to glorify God through the bodies He has given us (remember - our bodies are His temples! Temples!!)

- Ames

No comments:

Visitors