Monday, October 1, 2012

Mama on the Run Monday's Musings: Rest & Recovery

Now I know I didn't run a big-time race last weekend like several of you out there did.

But I coordinated one. And for those who are part of the race coordinating world, you KNOW that coordinating and prepping for a race is waaaayyyyy tougher than training and running the thing.

I say this will full confidence as I've become more and more aware of the details it takes to put on special running events - I'm crazy enough to coordinate one every six weeks in the summer, starting with a 5K in July, a triathlon in August, and the half-marathon in September.

So last week's running routine was - well - it paralleled a recovery week after a long race.

It's good for your body to recover (I hope those who DID race gave their bodies a chance to relax with either more cross-training sessions, stretch/rest sessions, and lighter/easier runs last week!). I know that I ran  a little (okay, a LOT) easier with less stress and anxiety with the half-marathon event now complete.

Now I'm in preparation mode for the Turkey Trot 10-miler taking place on Nov. 17. I'm thrilled to race and not worry about the details in between - just going out there and running 10 miles! :)

That being said, I want to run strong so I'm going to focus in a bit more on the weekly workouts to make sure the body is getting enough (good) fuel, sleep, miles, and cross-training exercise. Here's a sneak peek of what I'll be doing this week:

WEEK OF OCT. 1-6:
Monday: Run 4-5 miles with strength session
Tuesday: Run 4 miles (morning) with hopefully another running session in the afternoon (2-3?)
Wednesday: Cross-training day - long
Thursday: HIIT training or cross-training bursts with strength/stretch
Friday: Easy 3-4 miles with stretch and core work
Saturday: 8-10 miles with stretch and core work
Sunday: OFF/Rest Day!

We're actually home more for dinner this week, which I LOVE! Nothing like your sweetie and babes around the dinner table, giggling and talking about life lessons while eating a healthy meal. Here's what is on the dinner menu this week: Tacos with fixin's, Chicken & Rice Casserole with Broccoli, Pot Roast with Veggies, Chili with Cinnamon Rolls (during the BIG K-State vs. KU football game on Saturday!).

Happy October, everyone! I'm still wondering where September went, but it's always nice to start fresh with a nice run on the first of the month. Have a great week (and month!) of running as the temps continue to dip into the beautiful 60s and 70s!


No comments:

Visitors