Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Democracy: A 3-Year-Old's Perspective


In case you can't make out the pic, Mackie chose to wear her "I Voted in Reno County" sticker on her shoe following our voting expedition on Tuesday.

My sweet pea had quite the funnies on Election Day and the day-after. Here are some highlights:

- "I'm not a Democrat or a Republican, mommy. I'm Mackie!"

- As we're pulling into the Fairgrounds to vote, Mackie keeps asking me about the water. I rack my brain and think about what she may be talking about - and then it dawns on me. She thinks we're going on a BOAT, not to vote! Tee hee hee.

- Mackie was very enthusiastic about going into the voting booth. So enthusiastic that she cheered each time I filled in a circle and told me how well I stayed within the lines. (Good thing she can't read the names I was voting for!)

But perhaps the best funny came this morning, as I was dressing her and talking about last night's election. The convo went something like this:

Me: "Mackie, do you know who won the presidential election last night?"
Mackie: "Was it Collin Klein, mommy?"
Me: (laughing hysterically) "No, baby, but that would make for a good ticket! I know Republicans and Democrats alike who would have voted for that one!"

I look forward to many more elections with my sweet babes and showing them the importance of the great privilege and freedom we have in our country - and that voting is much, much, much more than getting an "I Voted" sticker.

No comments:

Visitors