Monday, November 5, 2012

Mama on the Run Monday's Musings: Taper Time! (part deux)

Happy Monday!

I wrote about the benefits of tapering a few weeks ago when several of you were finishing your training plans and only had 1-2 weeks until race day.

Well, now it's my turn to taper! Yippee! As I've said before, I'll be running the Turkey Trot 10-miler on Nov. 17. I've run some 8-milers and 9-milers to prepare in recent weeks and just did a 10-miler this past Saturday as my last "long" run before the race. I'll spend this week tapering down my weekday mileage and doing a 6- or 7-miler on Saturday before a larger taper week next week leading up to race day.

Anyone else doing the Turkey Trot or any fun upcoming Thanksgiving or holiday races? Please share - it's a great way to stay healthy during the heavy holiday eating months. (We run to eat, right?! Ha!)

Perhaps the news that has me the MOST giddy about this Monday (besides the fact that I crossed off half of my to-do list before 9 a.m.- yay!), is that the fam and I are going to be taking a vacay for my third marathon this spring! Instead of doing OKC Marathon (I know, I know - so much for being 99.9 percent sure!), we're going to be traveling up to Ohio in mid-May for me to compete in the Cleveland Rite Aid Marathon on May 19.

We have some dear friends (our former associate pastor and his family) who live about an hour away from Cleveland. We miss them. We want to see them. And since Jack gets out of school the first week of May (yay!), we're going to take a mini-road trip and see our friends, run a marathon (I'll be running; Jack will be cheering and watching the kids - a harder job!), and have a blast relaxing and creating memories.

It also gives me another 3-4 weeks to do my longer runs necessary to do a marathon. I was very worried that I wouldn't be able to do 16-, 18- and 20-milers on frigid, icy, and early (think dark!) Saturday mornings in February and early March (the heart of basketball season for hubs the coach). This way I'll be doing those longer runs in late March and into April - much nicer!

In the meantime, I'll be enjoying this beautiful (and warmer) November weather we've had so far. Might as well enjoy it as much as possible before we're wrapping ourselves up and doing shorter runs due to dramatic wind chills!

Here's the week ahead:
Monday:  Ran 4.2 miles this morning; Strength or may try to run a second time this afternoon
Tuesday: XT (Remember to VOTE!!)
Wednesday: Run 4-5 miles in the morning and Strength Routine over lunch or later in evening
Thursday: XT over lunch hour (or early early morning if I can get out of bed before heading to the office)
Friday: Run 2-3 miles and stretch/core work
Saturday: Run 6-7 miles and stretch

Dinners this week will (hopefully) include: Leftover soups and chili (they're taking over my freezer!); Meatballs and baked potatoes with green beans; Papa Muphy's night with broccoli; Cheesy Chicken Pasta and Veggies.

Have a great week ahead....and remember to conquer it for God's glory!



2 comments:

Kristen said...

Oh my goodness! That's the marathon Kyle and I did. It's a pretty flat course which makes it a good race in my book :) Let us know if you drive through Canton!

Monique Bergmeier said...

Can't tell you how excited we are that you all are coming!!!

Visitors