Friday, December 7, 2012

Mama on the Run Musings: Revving Down to Rev it Up

Say what?!

Yep, I like to write confusing titles.

These last few weeks I've been lowering my mileage and not running as hard or as far to prepare for my upcoming marathon training. I'm prone to being burnt out on training shortly after I start a program (due to the fact that I didn't take it easier during those in-between weeks of training).

That being said, I'm trying to be as laid-back as possible with my running.

But it's SO hard!!

You'd think I would enjoy the non-training times. No plan. No purpose. Just running.

But you know type-A me. Despite my attempts to run to simply get out there, I always strap on my Garmin, compare my times, get hard myself if I don't conquer a long run on Saturday, etc, etc.

It really comes down to that ugly thing in my heart called PRIDE!! I struggle with this ugly sin in so many facets of my life, including running and fitness (add vanity in there, too - pretty selfish, huh?!).

So these last two weeks I've swallowed - more like gulped and gagged down - a huge piece of humble pie in my running regimen. I've lowered my daily and weekly mileage. I've slowed down on some of my runs. I've included more weight/strength training that will do me good. I'm still trying to do more cross-training, but that's more of an issue of getting to the gym more than once a week for a bike/elliptical/AMT workout.

The plan is to continue this with the hopes that it revs up my running attitude before I start marathon training the first week of the New Year. In the coming weeks I'll be sharing the training plan - it's created by one of my favorite runners and coaches, Jenny Hadfield. She currently has a fun way of staying fit during the hectic Christmas season, too - you can check it out by going HERE. (It's not too late to sign up, either!).

So for now, I enjoy not having long runs on Saturdays and the freeing(??) experience of figuring out how much I want to run the next day or morning when I wake up. If I know myself, I'll be longing for these times in the thick of my 20-week marathon training plan, when I'm running the 14-18 milers on the weekends.

Oh - and I'm crossing my fingers that I'm selected as one of the bloggers for the Cleveland Marathon!
Those who are selected will find out on Monday, Dec. 10. Who knows how many apply and if I'm even close in the running (haha!), but why not apply? I love writing. I love running. And I super love writing about running. It would be a treat and an honor to be one of the guest bloggers as we train and prepare for the marathon.

Happy Friday, everyone! Get out there and enjoy it!

1 comment:

Monique Bergmeier said...

I hope you are chosen to blog! Never been so excited for a marathon before!

Visitors