Sunday, January 27, 2013

Mama on the Run Musings: When Mama's Away....


I finally had a minute to sit down and write - writing that didn't include a to-do list! - after spending the entire day prepping for a four-day work trip.

Phew! Now that was a workout!

Dinners are planned for hubs and fam this week. A complete schedule, phone numbers, and everyone has been contacted on where to be, when to be, and how to be. I even threw in a cheat sheet breakfast and lunch menu, just to be on the safe side (and even took a pic of all of my lists...nerd alert!).

While I enjoy this work conference, the real work comes in the advanced planning - especially when the sitter happens to be out of town on vacation (it happens every year, so we know this dreaded week is coming months in advance!) as well as during a busy basketball week for Jack.

It also takes some advanced planning on the running schedule. This week I had a 10-miler scheduled for my long run. I knew full well after traveling and working four days straight that I would not have the energy (or desire, really!) to do double-digit miles on the same weekend that Jack has (another) basketball tournament and a fun special event that we'll be participating in.

That being said, I ran my 10-miler this past weekend and will tweak the schedule a bit to accommodate my work conference, travel, and family/event obligations in between. Here goes nothing! (side note: I'm SUPER excited to be back in my old college stomping grounds! It will be (hopefully) fun running on some new - and not-so-new - routes from back in the "glory" days of freedom!

What tips do you have when you're faced with a busy week - either life, sickness, or work - and have want to stick with your training plan?

WEEK #5 MARATHON TRAINING PLAN:
Monday: Run 50 minutes (leave for work trip in the morning)
Tuesday: XT for 40-45 minutes plus strength train (already looked - hotel has fitness center, but knowing that I may have to adjust routine a bit!)
Wednesday: Run 60 minutes with pick-ups
Thursday: XT for 40-45 minutes plus strength train
Friday: Run 40 minutes easy
Saturday: Long run of 7 miles (switched last week's run to this week)
Sunday: OFF/Recovery day after a long week!

Happy running, everyone! Stay safe out there and enjoy this strange, mild weather we'll have the next few days. (flip flops in January, are you serious?!)

No comments:

Visitors