Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Green Thumbin' It


Okay, all of you gardeners out there....

I NEED HELP!!

I (finally!) have gotten brave enough to tackle my own garden this coming summer. (or so I think) I definitely don't have a green thumb. I used Jack's crazy summer schedule - on top of my own crazy summer schedule - as the perfect excuse not to garden or use the lovely area our former home owner made in our back yard area.

Last year, I was brave enough to tackle herbs. Cilantro, basil, and mint. I didn't kill it, it grew great, and I actually used them all in recipes!

Now I want to really attempt to garden. Beyond the herbs. But here's the deal: I have NO idea what I'm doing!

What are easy, "fool-proof" items to grow? When do I start? What do I buy to prep the garden area (it definitely needs some work before planting any little seeds in there)?

I'm thinking cukes, tomatoes, herbs (again), but what else?

For all of my gardening friends, please help me. I don't want to break the bank trying to figure this out on my own. That defeats (most of) the purpose! I also want to be somewhat knowledgeable so the kids can join in on the gardening fun. With them in tow, it may very well be the blind leading the blind......


2 comments:

Jessica Villmer said...

Amy, we're planning the same thing! Sorry I can't offer any help though...I'm as clueless as you :)
I hope we can both find some info before the time comes! And if I gain any knowledge (which I hopefully will) I will certainly send it your way.
Good luck!

dana said...

Good for you! Sounds like we need another coffee date to discuss gardening in Kansas. :-)

Visitors