Saturday, May 11, 2013

Mama On The Run: Taper Time = Middle School

This is it.

The hardest part of training - because it's the most awkward. Remember how you felt in middle school (okay, maybe it was just me!)? Awkward, constantly out of place, a complete goon? That's pretty much how I felt in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade. Being the tallest girl in the class (I finished growing by the end of my 8th grade year and rang in at 5'11" - hello, tall chick!), I constantly felt awkward. It was tough finding a boy to dance with at the super-awkward boy-girl dance parties....when we actually figured out that there was only 15 minutes left in the party and we might as well dance instead of stand around and wait for someone else to start dancing.

Yep, those awkward feelings will be constant this week as I really taper down the miles, travel, and prep for a great race.

To get through the antsy, awkward times that only the final taper week can bring, I'm going to replace my usual running miles and cross training workouts with cleaning, packing, organizing, and doing laundry. I might as well have a clean house, finished laundry, and an organized packing system figured out before we leave for the 16-hour car drive later this week.

Due to traveling, I'm tweaking the final run before the marathon. It's basically a "get loose and get the nerves out because I'm going nuts" kind of run. It was scheduled for Friday, but I'm moving it to Thursday, right before we leave. It will be the perfect way to loosen up and relax before we head off to our first destination of this memorable road trip!

To my fellow taper-ers, hang in there! Have confidence that you're ready and resist the urge to run hard, do another mile, etc, etc. Now's not the time to try anything new. Yadda, yadda, yadda. I know, it's age-old advice. But don't we have to constantly hear it so we actually listen to it?!


WEEK #20 CLEVELAND MARATHON TRAINING
Monday: Run 40 minutes
Tuesday: Rest (or light XT workout or walk if I feel like it - no pressure if I don't!)
Wednesday: Run 30 minutes with pick-ups
Thursday: Run easy 25 minutes
Friday: Off/Rest
Saturday: Off/Rest - Mackie's kiddie fun run!
Sunday: RACE DAY - It's finally here, 26.2 miles to my 3rd marathon finish and a hopeful PR!

No comments:

Visitors