Saturday, September 21, 2013

People Pleaser

Most of you know that not only do I enjoy running and racing, but I have the fun (and very stressful/humbling/excited/frustrating/nonstop) job of being a race coordinator. (Think: list upon list upon list of to-dos and an office that's attacking you with boxes - see pics for proof!)

It's something I stumbled into when I took the job as director or marketing and special events at Hutch Rec six years ago. It's now morphed into coordinating three large Hutch Rec Race Series events among my marketing duties at HRC.



Being in charge - or even partly in charge - of a race is hard work. Few know just how many details, hours, days, weeks, and meetings it actually takes. And those who do are usually fellow race coordinators, my husband - who seriously is the best right-hand man a woman could ask for ALL of the time and especially during race weeks! - and great friends who see me in the weeks leading up to race week and are helping out in a variety of ways).

It's much easier to train and run the race you're organizing. And you better believe that I wish I was racing with all of the participants come race morning! 

But....(and I'm still learning this).....despite the ultimate goal of putting on a perfect race, you can't. And....(gulp gulp gulp).....you can't please everyone.

This really hit me today, as I was trying to accommodate every request, putting out each fire, and racking my brain and figuring out a way to make the 25 or so women happy who were disappointed to find that we ran out of their shirt size at the packet pick-up (and this doesn't include the 20+ women I'll have at tomorrow's packet pick-up - oh boy!). I get it. I understand their frustration. I'm upset for them and upset at myself, which leads to continuous questions swirling through my mind so much that it hurts and I make myself physically sick: How could I let this happen? Why didn't I order even more of those smaller shirts sizes, beyond the extras that I ordered to start with? What can I do to make each one of them happy so they don't bad-mouth our event and tell everyone and their mamas on Facebook how awful their experiences were? How am I going to face all of them tomorrow and make their race day experience a memorable one - in a good way?

Sigh.

WHY on earth do I spend so much time trying to please every single race participant - a majority of them strangers! - than I do glorifying and honoring Christ? 

People pleasing is so selfish. I might as well be yelling: "Look at me! Look at me! Have pity on me (when things don't go as planned)! Flatter me (when things do go as planned)!"

Stinkin' ugly sin.

Lord, Please forgive me for this ugly selfishness. For obsessing over my wants, my emotions, my inconveniences. For taking the focus off of you and putting it on myself. For trying to take comfort in man rather being completely fulfilled in that beautiful cross and the incredible sacrifice that was made on it.

I'm finding myself repeating the same words I tell Mackie each time she leaves the house: "In everything you do, let your light shine for Jesus."

May I shine for you tomorrow, Jesus!

"So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it ALL for the glory of God!" -- 1 Corinthians 10:31








No comments:

Visitors