Saturday, October 12, 2013

A Letter to My Son On His 2nd Birthday





My sweet Braxton Cade,

On Sunday (10.13.13) at 12:56 p.m., you're turning two years old. TWO! What on earth have we been doing these last two years? 

Wasn't it just the other day that my water broke 17 days early....and you were delivered by the back-up doc just 30 minutes after my beloved doc had to leave for a required out-of-town work conference? (That's what happens when doctors say "Whatever you do, don't go into labor on Thursday before noon")

And wasn't it just yesterday that we brought you home? And I kept forgetting how much newborns slept those first several weeks?



Wasn't just a few hours ago that we were getting up several times a night...for months on end..and your daddy and I were trying everything and anything to just get you to sleep for more than 3-4 hours straight at night...or take a good, long nap during the day for that matter. (I get it, sleep deprived mamas, and I can tell you that it does get better. It may not be on your time, though!)




Wasn't it just a few minutes ago that we celebrated your first birthday? That you recovered from your first broken bone with flying colors and started walking and then running and climbing? That you survived the removal of paci phase and transitioning to a big boy bed phase? That I was weaning you from mama's milk to moo-juice?



It still amazes me just how slow most days go, yet how fast the weeks, months, and years fly by (and I'm still "just" beginning!).

Son, your daddy and I are SO excited for you to begin this new year of life that God has granted you. Being two is big stuff! You're (technically) no longer a baby. Your age isn't determined by months but rather years.

This coming year you'll keep trucking along in the speech department and communicate in sentences. You'll move up from the baby nursery at church into the "big kid" room. You'll start and master potty training (Lord and mama-willing!). You'll get to the point where you won't need a booster seat at the dinner table anymore. Or the baby gate at the top of the stairs. And we'll move your bed off of the floor and actually onto its bed frame since you won't be fearful of falling out (or mommy won't be scared!).

We pray that as you continue to grow, that you really start understanding the love of Jesus and the amazing sacrifice He made for you on the cross.

There's a canvas that I painted in your room with a great and mighty verse for a great and mighty little boy like yourself: "Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

My Bible reading these last couple of weeks has centered around the book of Joshua. I'm amazed at the mighty leadership traits that God instilled in him. And I pray for that same steadfast love of God for you, Braxton Cade. I pray that you put your full trust and might in God our Father, not of the false hopes and desires of the world. Be a mighty warrior for Christ!

Love you, love you, love you, little man. My buddy. My favorite cheeser. My bud who talks with his eyes and brilliant animations. My little thinker and processor. My future Wildcat (we can hope!). My child who eats me out of house and home.

My son.

My son.

-Mama





No comments:

Visitors