Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Mama On The Run: New & Upcoming Races

I'm really looking forward to adding a few new races to my usual go-to's in the coming weeks - especially because they're during the hectic holiday season where the mileage still happens, but my approach to training is definitely lax. Not that lax is a bad thing. I actually enjoy the relaxing time of no schedule to stick to - and then a week into it my type-A self is screaming to plot out a training plan.

Thanks to November and January races this year, I don't think I'll have that problem! Here's the scoop:

Love Life Run - THIS Saturday, Nov. 9th:

I'm super excited to be racing this weekend in the Love Life Run's NEW 10K in Hutchinson. The coordinator is a super-sweet friend of mine and just gets it - you know, she's super type-A like me and understands the hours upon hours it takes to put off a great event. They're featuring great shirts and swag, fun awards, tasty food, and the money goes to an excellent organization in Hutchinson - The Open Door Pregnancy Center.

I'd really like to break 50:00 again (like I did earlier this year at my beloved Easter Sun Run 10K) and PR from that. We'll see how it goes. I've been doing some 7-9 milers on the weekends, but it's nothing like I was doing when I ran the Easter run in April. That mostly came as a result of being in full marathon training mode and pulling 16-20 milers on the weekend. If I can't break 50:00, I'd be happy with 51:00 (not really happy, but happy enough - I'm too competitive!).

I'm also excited for Mackie to be "racing" in the 1-mile fun run. Since it starts during my race, Jack is taking her and running with Brax in the stroller. What a guy!


Hangover Half Series - Jan. 1st, 2014

I'm excited to do this event not because I'm going to be hungover (maybe from eating too much tasty food for weeks on end - we run to eat, no?!), but because what better way to ring in a New Year than with 13.1 miles?! The entire series has runners doing three events - a 5K on Dec. 31st in the morning, another 5K on the 31st right before midnight, and then the half-marathon on Jan. 1st.

Because of hubs' basketball schedule (and because I really want to ring in the New Year with my kidlets and sleep in my own comfy bed instead of a hotel where everyone will be going wild), I'm opting "just" to do the half-marathon on New Year's Day. It will still be a challenge...and yes, I'll still be running on Dec. 31st. There's something so invigorating running to cap off the year AND running to ring a new one!

Patrick with Oz Endurance will put on a great race - this I know from experience! He's our chip timer for two of our Hutch Rec Race Series events and it's a pleasure working with him year in and year out. Besides, he's got long-sleeve tech tees AND coffee mugs in the swag packets. Wahoo!


In 2014, we will definitely be doing our usual Easter Sun Run 10K and a NEW one is in store for both Jack and I (yes, he's doing a half-marathon this year!). We're celebrating nine years of wedded bliss with a weekend get-away to Kansas City and the Hospital Hill Half Marathon. We're nuts (for each other and for running) on a very hilly course when we have virtually NO hills to train on. But I'm up for a fun challenge in training this spring!

And cross your fingers for me....I just applied to be a guest blogger for Hospital Hill. As you know from my past blogging experiences with races, I enjoy doing it and meeting GREAT people along the way!






No comments:

Visitors