Saturday, December 7, 2013

Mama On The Run: The Dreadmill


Several of you know my extreme (extreme!) dislike of the treadmill. I avoid it like the plague. Yet this week I was forced to run on the silly thing.

I've run through the entire gamut of weather extremes: pouring rain, lightning (almost too close for comfort - not my smartest moment!), hail, sleet, snow (inches and inches), ice pellets beating my face for 2+ hours during an 18-miler, slush, winds gusting up to 40 mph, and bitter cold temps. In fact, some of my delightful running memories have been made while facing the mentioned elements.

These last two days, though, included temps with a wind chill of -16 degrees outside. I probably would have done it had I not had to run at 5 a.m. (it's basketball season and some days those are the only times to run if I want to get miles in!). Thankfully I have a smarter husband who politely and calmly tells me I'm a crazy goon and stops me from going out there and injuring myself (on black ice) or getting sick (I have just come back from cold/sinus junk and bitter cold weather for longer than 10 minutes isn't good for the lungs).

So I sucked it up.

I trudged down to my basement these last two mornings to pound out miles on the treadmill. So many runners talk about mixing up intervals and inclines and do whatever it takes to pass the time. I don't know if it's me or what, but I never get a good cadence on the 'mill, and going at a "slow" speed for me outdoors feels like I'm sprinting on a treadmill and never catching up. I don't feel like I get a good balance on the thing, either. I blame my almost 6-foot frame (though it's a glorified excuse). I feel like a hamster on a spinning wheel, going endless miles without ever going anywhere.

It's definitely a mental test - one that I'm thankful I only have to do a handful of times each year (or have had to do....they warn us that this winter is going to be bitter cold, icy, snowy, and one of our worst in recent years!).

Let's just say I've never been so happy to see wind chills in the 0s and slightly above next week. Bring on the balaclava and layers!

No comments:

Visitors