Sunday, March 9, 2014

Mama On The Run: Week #1 Training - Done!




Week #1 of Spring Race Training is done! As I indicated in my earlier post, I'm following my favorite running coach, Jenny Hadfield, and her advanced half marathon training plan. I'm tweaking the plan as I go along, because it's been a while since I've done a 5 day run/1 day cross train plan (usually it's been 4 days run/2 days cross train). I'm also putting more running miles in with this plan (meaning: back to the longer runs on Saturday), so I'm adjusting and listening to my body as I start out in the early weeks.

This first week was a great test and really gave me a sneak peek of what to expect these next 14 weeks. I also enjoyed getting back into a longer Saturday morning running routine. And speaking of Saturday morning runs....these are my two cuties while daddy takes over for a few hours those mornings....

 My son, Brax - who's 2 1/2 and every bit as ornery as his daddy!


 My sweet pea, Mackie, who's 4 1/2 and has the most beautiful, highlighted curls a girl could ask for. She's sugar, spice, and everything nice! (Currently 4 going on 14 in the drama department.)

I wouldn't be able to get out and run if it weren't for my awesome hubs. Jack and I are both active people - he prefers weightlifting and playing basketball - while I of course choose running as my go-to exercise routine. Each morning we're team-tagging our exercise endeavors, as he is usually the real early bird to get up and get his work-out in, followed by me getting my work-out in while the kids eat breakfast and he gets ready for work. We definitely juggle schedules and make it a priority to fit in fitness during our day - and it's hard work with him being a teacher/coach and carrying various other odd jobs while I work both in an office and at home while balancing the kiddos' schedules. 

We're going to hopefully get back to our running "dates" while training for Hospital Hill and do some of our Saturday morning long runs together. I can't wait (I'm sure he can!), as it brings back sweet memories of running together in our newlywed bliss days, where he literally ran miles for me just so we could be together. 

Here's a peek into Week #2 (I've included some possible tweaks to the plan that I may implement as the week goes on - it's all about adjustments in our hectic lives!)

WEEK #2 TRAINING PLAN:
Monday: Run 45 min easy with strength training (My include an additional run with the kidlets in the BOB post-naps, as it's supposed to be a beautiful day in the 70's!)
Tuesday: Run 50 min with pick-ups
Wednesday: XT Day for 30-40 min with strength training (My go-to is usually the stationary bike)
Thursday: Run 45 min with 4-5 striders (Most likely run 35-40 min)
Friday: Run 45 min easy (Most likely run another 35-40 min easy to save legs for Saturday)
Saturday: Long run of 9 miles

To those of you training for Hospital Hill or other spring/early summer races, it's a GREAT week to get going! Spring has (hopefully) sprung - or at least has this week - so get out there and enjoy that gorgeous sunshine.

Happy Running! I'd love to meet you and get to know y'all better...feel free to leave comments or tell me your running stories via email at amyconkling33@gmail.com. 

Make it a GREAT one!



No comments:

Visitors