Thursday, June 5, 2014

Mama On The Run: Race Weekend is Here!


It's here, it's here, it's FINALLY here! Race weekend has arrived, Hospital Hill folks. Are you ready....and giddy...and nervous....and excited....and thinking "eek! eek! eek!" all at once? 

Really hoping you're raising your hands here so I'm not alone. 

As I indicated in my first Hospital Hill blog post, hubs graciously agreed to run HH half with me to celebrate 9 years of wedded bliss. A few months later, when HH staff announced the Re-Run option (adding the 5K on Friday night), hubs again graciously said yes. 

What a guy! 

Tomorrow we'll kick off our KC weekend as we conquer the triple H: heat, humidity, and hills with the 5K at night, and then a mere 12 hours later, face the daunting 13.1 mile challenge. It's 16.2 miles of pure love, I tell ya! 

I was trying to think back to the last time hubs and I actually ran a race together, as in side by side.

You see, Jack is the rock-star hubs/daddy on most races. Since I'm the runner of the bunch, he watches the kidlets while I go and run the race. He does, however, join me in running our annual favorite Easter Sun Run 10K. The speedster used to give up his fast time to run with me, but that's not fair for him to sacrifice his own running goals and accomplishments. We'd kiss each other off at the start line and then it was off to the races - him going through the 10K course a few minutes ahead of me and we met up after we crossed the finish line. 


This weekend will be the first time in several years where we'll be side by side both races - I'm talking clear back in 2006-2007, when we first started racing long distances and kids weren't even a thought in our newlywed bliss. 

With hubs by my side, I'm going in with a few different goals for the half-marathon (we're using the 5K race as a warm-up, so not really focused on it!):

* Obviously it would be great to PR and break my 1:52 time from the New Year's Day half-marathon. I don't think it's going to happen, though, mainly because: it's hillier; it's way warmer; and it's really humid out. If we get going in the race and are feeling strong and good, so be it - we'll knock those miles out and relish in utter amazement. A PR is always a treat - but a great surprise when the elements are like they're going to be this weekend.
* Run between a 1:55-2:05. I think it's feasible - even with the hills! It'll be tough, but if we're feeling good and strong, this time is what we're shooting for the most. 
* To simply enjoy the race and each other's company. I'm admitting to getting super cranky when the going gets tough, the miles are dragging on, the weather is hot and humid, yadda, yadda, yadda. I want to remove the crankies and simply enjoy the time with my husband - regardless if we meet the 2:00 time goal or not. 

The real challenge this weekend will be conquering the hills and our preconceived notion of them. As you know, we live in pancake-flat land. Simply crossing that finish line - in my tired, glistening glory will be enough of an accomplishment!

See y'all at the start line, HH folks. Share your race weekend adventures - I'd love to hear them and see pics of your great accomplishments! 

Run HAPPY!



No comments:

Visitors