Saturday, July 12, 2014

Titan 10K & 1-Mile Race

We returned to a family-favorite race, the Titan South High Scorcher 10K and 1-mile run. I've been doing the 10K ever since a running friend and fellow race coordinator started the event three years ago to raise money for the cross country and track teams she coaches. It's an excellent event, I enjoy the 10K distance, and it's nice to support fellow race coordinators by "just" running in their races. :) 

Plus, it's a HUGE challenge running in the heat and humidity. This year's humidity wasn't as bad, but the temps were sure hot, as they usually are in July (think: mid to upper 70s by 7 a.m. start time and into the 80s by finish time and 1-mile time). The South Scorcher definitely lives up to its name!

I know that in the heat, my body adjusts to it - meaning is usually slows down a bit, as do must runners. I've run the race between 51:15-51:51 the past two years and wanted to ideally run in the 50s, but wouldn't mind doing 51, either. I came across the finish line in 51:22, good enough for 2nd in the 30-34 female age group and 9th overall female. I was pleased that I ran faster than last year and also finished strong in the heat. 





The REAL joy came, however, during Mackie's one-mile run. I love running with my daughter. She ran a race that I coordinated last month and I have to admit I was a bit sad not running by her side. She's my girl. The one who causes me to gleefully giggle and remember WHY I enjoy running so much (as you can see in the pics below). 

Mackie is just like her mommy in that: a. she goes out too fast and shortly into it is wondering why she's so tired; and b. she doesn't like people passing her and is a bit competitive when it comes to that. 

Now if I could only look as cute as her in a running skirt! ;)





It's a total family affair, as Jack keeps the kids while I run the 10K (we had the minivan this year, so they were able to watch a movie while mommy ran!). He and Brax then cheered the girls on to victory in the one-mile run. I can't say enough amazing things my incredible hubs! What an awesome support system he is to not only me, but his children.



Next up: back to half-marathon training! I'm most likely going to start up a plan this coming week (you know me, can only take a non-schedule for so long!) to prep for the Oct. 12 Prairie Fire Half Marathon and then the Nov. 8 Love Life Run 10K. That will probably round out my racing for 2014. Like I've said before, I'm not one who needs or really desires to race all the time. It's just fun to do them once every few months (give or take) for the challenge and the camaraderie.

Happy running, y'all! And hang in there with the heat. It's only going to get HOTTER I'm afraid! (before an unusual July cool-down...but promise, it'll get back up to the hot temps!).


No comments:

Visitors