Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Dear Daughter - A Letter on Your 5th Birthday

Mackenzie Claire,

In just a few short hours you turn five years old. Your age fits on one entire hand - can you believe it?! 

I get weepy this time every year as I think back on your day of birth. How did five years go by so fast? Wasn't it just yesterday that I gleefully dressed you up in multiple outfits a day (mostly pink) like a little baby doll because you were oh-so cute in them?! 



Or wasn't it just the other day that you were my curly-q'd strawberry blonde beauty?!



You have turned into quite the little lady, my sweet pea.


This year I pray that your heart grows more and more in love with Jesus. Your knowledge and heart for the Lord has grown so much this past year and your daddy and I pray that you start to connect the reason WHY Jesus died on the cross for our sins. We pray that you continue to hold true to God's Word and hide it in your heart. As David writes in Psalm 18:30 - "This God - HIS way is perfect; the word of the Lord proves true; He is a shield for all those who take refuge in Him."

I pray that you use that spunky, vivacious, and tender-hearted personality of yours to glorify Christ and see how you can serve others around you in love and kindness. You are a leader - a loud one at that (you can thank me later!) - and both your daddy and I pray you use this spunk to God's glory.

I pray that you continue to learn - and keep up that love of learning. You're going to be the "top dog" in preschool this year and I'm excited to see you start learning how to read, writing more letters, doing math, etc, etc.

I remember the night you were born, when you were snoozing away next to me in the hospital bed, I couldn't sleep. The nurses encouraged me to send you to the nursery so I could sleep (I had been up all night in labor), but I just couldn't. I was mesmerized by you. Your tiny little breaths. Your beautiful hands, feet, and cute little mouth. I didn't want to sleep because I didn't want to miss anything.

Same thing happened when we came home a few days later. Everyone said to sleep when the baby slept. But I just couldn't. I didn't want to miss you - even sleeping! - and the excitement of having a new family member.

I'm still so-so-so excited to be your mommy, Mackie. While I actually do go to sleep now, I'm excited every morning when you trudge along in our room, curly hair all a mess and you sleepily snuggle and give me kisses. You made me a mommy, Mackenzie Claire, and I'm so blessed beyond measure by the precious gift God gave me through you.

Happy 5th Birthday, sweet pea. May this year be filled with lots of laughter, lots of fun, lots of learning. lots of life, and lots of LOVE!

Love you to the moon and back,
Mama




No comments:

Visitors