Tuesday, September 2, 2014

A New School Year


Half of our household starts school on Wednesday. Mackie starts her second year at Christ Care Preschool, moving on up to the 4-5 yr old class that goes three days a week. Meanwhile, daddy starts his 10th (yes...10th!) year of teaching 7th & 8th grade social studies at Prairie Hills Middle School.

Jack has been more than ready to start school. So has Mackie. There's something about watching all of your friends start in mid-August that makes you anxious and ready for your own first day of school.

And while I, too, have been looking forward to the more structured schedules that back-to-school brings, I've also been walking around with an aching heart today. (and the aches aren't just from my bike crash from this morning...that's an entirely different blog post!)

I'm sad because - like every summer - we had a rockstar daddy at home who did it all this summer - watch the kidlets while mommy was at work, coach their teams, help with more of his fair share of housework and chores, the list goes on and on. He's such a great daddy and incredible husband - I am blessed beyond measure. It's such a treat and blessing to spend extra time with him these last four months.

I'm also sad because Mackie is gone another morning each week. It's going to be hectic and trying at times throughout the year as I balance my office days with preschool drop-off and pick-up each week, but it's oh-so worth it. We are thrilled that God gave us such clarity in making a decision with preschool vs. kindergarten. We get to have another year with her under our wings, so I shouldn't be sad at "just" one extra school day a week. I think I'm more sad at the the thought that this is it. Next year she'll be off in kindergarten, going all day, every day. Sigh. I have about 333 days (give or take a few) to make the most of it!

But enough of the sadness.

I'm excited for Jack as he teaches in practically a brand new school. For the new opportunities he'll have this school year as he balances his teaching with classes for his master's degree, picking up some extra work as a team leader and officiating various sports, and coaching for a new girls basketball coach come November.

I'm excited for Mackie to make some new friends (though several of her church classmates will be joining her at Christ Care this fall!), to show some leadership with being the oldest one in her preschool class, and the excitement that comes from learning even more as she gets ready to make the leap to kindergarten next year.

Lord, I pray for both of my loves as they enter those school doors in the morning. May they both be lights for you - shining brightly and showing the hands and feet of Jesus in their actions and their words. May they be a witness to their classmates/co-workers, respect their teachers/principals, and be caring and kind to those they meet. May they respond in love, not malice, when they encounter difficult times. May they rejoice, not take credit, when you bless them beyond measure with opportunities and experiences.

Lord, thank you for my sweeties. Protect them, keep them safe, and may they honor you in all they do and say!

Welcome to the 2014-15 school year!

No comments:

Visitors