Monday, October 27, 2014

Mama on the Run: So This Just Happened....

After much contemplation these last several weeks and months - and trying to talk myself out of doing full marathon #4 in the near future - I just did it.

I went against every type-A grain in my body and signed up for OKC Marathon in April 2015!

Yes, that's right. In a matter of 24 hours, I went from thinking about a full marathon in 2016 (I've been on an every-three-year pattern with my last three fulls) to bucking the trend and opting for a full in a mere six months.

Gulp!

Here are reasons WHY I went against my initial thoughts and decided to go for it:
* I'm too competitive. After what I would say was a fun year running-wise (both for time's sake and enjoyment's sake), I've gotten the drive back to break that ultimate marathon time goal. My goal is to (finally) break 4:30 in the 26.2-mile endeavor. I was oh-so close and on track at the Cleveland Marathon in 2013. Had it not been a scorcher that day, I know I would have done it. But I didn't. And so I have the desire to try for that time all over again!

* Family schedule. At first I didn't think it would be a good winter to train for the full marathon. I've done it before (again, for Cleveland in 2013), and while I endured a yucky winter (tons of snow, sleet, hail, bitter cold), it beats the summer training for a fall full marathon. For months I talked myself out of this winter because Jack had just started his grad school work and coaches basketball in the winter. However, it's more doable this year than it would be next year, mainly because of the kiddos' schedules. Mackie isn't in public school yet, so we don't have to worry about pulling her out of school for a long weekend. Both kids aren't in full-fledged basketball yet, so I don't have to worry about trying to figure out how to squeeze in a super long run during basketball season (there will be times, I'm sure, but it's much more manageable now that later!).

* Distance and cost. This race has been on the bucket list (I was thinking half-marathon for a while), and it's nice because it's a different location, but drivable distance. We have family in the OKC area which will also make it nice! The race fee wasn't too outrageous, nor was the race hotel for one night. We can also make it a long weekend and mini family vacay - the kids already are excited about the elephants at the OKC Zoo!

* Fellow running mama. My running mama friend - who tried to convince me to do OKC several months ago - is running the same race as her third full marathon. And while she's much speedier and could BQ she's so rockin' awesome, it'll be nice to run some longer miles with her on Saturday, even if she leaves me in the snow. A few miles with a running friend are better than none when you're doing 16, 18, and 20 milers!

So there you have it. Now I'm off to download my beloved Jenny Hadfield intermediate full marathon training plan. It looks like I'll be starting right before Christmas for the 20-week plan. I love Coach J's plans as they're realistic, adjustable, and this "only" has a 16-miler, 18-miler, and two 20-milers for top distances.

Only.

Here goes nothing! You can be rest assured I'll be blogging plenty about my adventures in the weeks and months to come!

No comments:

Visitors