Friday, October 10, 2014

Mama the Softie

I'm admitting to being a softie lately.

Brax spends most of his days (when at home) in his unders-only, not even bothering to put clothes on, even when we're out in the front yard or at the neighbor's house. When we run errands, he ups the ante and puts on pajama pants and a mismatched shirt - and I don't mind! 

Mackie, meanwhile, brings pennies to the church offering plate instead of nickels, dimes, and quarters. She adds necklace upon necklace to her outfits that don't match - and I don't mind!

They've both asked to sleep in the same bed - several weeknights or naptimes in a row (gasp!) - and I don't mind!


They put in drink requests during our mommy-kid coffee dates and I gladly oblige - I don't mind!




Sure, these small little pieces of life may seem minimal to most families and that they're not that big of a deal. But they are to type-A mama me who has lived in her beautiful little bubble of a pretty effective routine and schedule around here. In fact, it's almost 9 p.m. as I write this and the kids are still awake, not even close to going to bed, and again - I don't mind.

Why the laid-back casualness in the Conkling casa lately?

Because I'm clinging on to my babies both being at home together. I'm soaking in each moment I have with each of them (alone) throughout the week.

Each month that passes by is one more month closer to Mackie going off to kindergarten. Then Brax starting preschool. And the two of them not being under one roof together a majority of the time - only a few hours here, a few hours there each weeknight and on the weekends. It won't be the same.

I want to pause time right now and keep my kids at 5 and almost 3. They are so much FUN right now and I embrace both the good days and rough, dramatic days that result in non-stop discipline.

So here's proof that even the most type-A, scheduled mamas can turn into laid-back, fun-loving mommies every now and then. And enjoy it.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Love this! Glad you are savoring the moments with those 2 cuties!

Visitors