Monday, October 20, 2014

My Budding Author


Over the last several months, Mackie has taken her drawings a step further - and made them into books and other productions.

It started earlier this summer. She was watching an episode of Arthur one day and came up, excited for a project she wanted to make Brax. She and Jack worked to create a "live" filmstrip show. She taped several pieces of computer paper together and basically drew an entire strip of cartoons. Then, with daddy's help, she made a backdrop out of an old box and PVC pipe and connected the long strip of paper to the "reel," twisting it and telling the story as her brother watched in awe.

I wish I had taken a picture of the creation. I couldn't believe my 4-year-old (at the time) had the creativity and vision of the full-fledged production.

Her creation continues now with books that she likes to draw and author herself. It used to be with notebook paper and she filled them up with pictures and stories. A few months ago, though, I found some blank books on the half-off shelf of Target's dollar rack, making them only 50 cents each. I cleared out the packages for my budding author.

Now, she makes her own books! Here's a sample of what she was working on this morning - Thomas and the Princess. She combined her love of princesses and Brax's love of trains into one big story. She draws the pictures and then asks me to write down her script (out of her mouth, word for word - no editing from mommy - though I sometimes want to!).





Color me impressed. And a bit giddy, as it brings back memories of my own creative writing days!

No comments:

Visitors