Monday, December 29, 2014

Mama on the Run: Running Into 2015


Yesterday I posted my overall "theme" (for lack of a better word) of life as my family and I head into 2015.

Now it's time to post my running, fitness, and health goals. Mainly for accountability, but for anyone who may care out there about Mama on the Run's adventures as I run into the new year.

RACING & TRAINING:
I'm kicking off 2015 with the annual half-marathon in Wichita on New Year's Day. It's going to be bitter cold, windy, bitter cold, windy, and did I mention bitter cold? I go into the race not really race-ready at all. I've done one measly 10-miler since finishing Prairie Fire half-marathon way back in October. And then full marathon training started in early December, where I found myself enjoying the Saturday "long" runs of 7-8-9 miles before the 16-18-20 milers come in the very near future. Anyway, long story short....I'm going out in fun mode, looking at it as a training run where I want to finish strong and not worry about a time. (But competitive me wants to let you all know that I'd love a finish time anywhere between 1:55-2:05).

After New Year's Day, here are some races that I look forward to doing:

  • Easter Sun Run 10K: I've done this race every year since I started racing in 2006. In fact, it was my first race! Excited to join hubs for the 10K and then we'll all do the 2-mile race as a family afterward. Of course I have a 20-miler scheduled for marathon training that day, so it could be interesting.
  • Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon: Yep, I took the plunge late this fall and decided why not? Let's once again train for a full marathon in the winter months. This will be Marathon #4 and I'm still training for that 4:30 or better finish time. I'm hopeful. But really, this will be it on the full marathons for a while. Kidlets are getting older and honestly, my body really appreciates the 10Ks and half-marathons. 
  • Titan 10K: A brutally hot race in July, but a fun one. It's great to support fellow race coordinators and I not only enjoy the race/swag, but also the 1-mile fun run with the kidlets afterward.
  • Love Life Run 10K: This is another fun, local race that I love doing to support a fellow race coordinator. The November weather is usually pretty awesome running-wise (chillier, but it beats the scorching heat!) and running in my hometown pretty much rocks. It's one big family reunion of runners. :) 
I honestly don't know about races in between. I'm playing it by ear - I've thought about doing a half-marathon in the fall, or maybe switching things up distance-wise and trying a 15K or doing the Turkey Trot 10-miler. It's different for type-A me to be so indecisive, but I'd like to see how the body adjusts to post-marathon training. Plus, this is the first year that I'm not coordinating the Hutch Rec Race Series races (due to taking on new and exciting challenges at work). While I'd love nothing more than to race Run for the Rocks and the Firecracker 5K, I also know I'm needed on race weekend to help volunteer and help out the current coordinator. 

I'd also like to continue my overall annual goal of 1,000+ running miles.

CROSS-TRAINING & MORE:
Aside from the racing and training, I'm going to be doing more yoga/Pilates in my cross-training and strength-training routine. I've had some hip issues recently and have found yoga and Pilates to stretch out my body and strengthen me in ways that my stand-by's of biking and strength training don't necessarily do all the time. I'm also going to try and incorporate more HIIT (high intensity and interval training) into the mix, too. I've purchased a few new fitness DVDs to inspire me - I'm actually thinking these will come in handy in a few weeks when the stationary bike trainer downstairs gets a bit boring and I want/need to switch things up for the body.

NUTRITION:
I really need to monitor my sugar intake. I've noticed that I have an overly abundant sweet tooth and need to get that under control. I also am excited to get back in a routine (from the end-of-the-year-holiday rush) in meal planning. I'm going to probably do more smoothies this winter to sneak some leafy veggies in, as they're not as tasty in the winter. I'm also going to up the milk and protein intake. I've never really been a huge meat eater, but need to get my protein in different ways and not just at dinnertime, but throughout the day. Same goes with milk and dairy - my bones and body need it! 

OVERALL WELL-BEING:
My sleep habits need a complete overhaul. Sadly, having #2 baby/toddler/now 3 yr old who always has struggled with sleep has caused me to pick up some bad sleep habits. I go to bed entirely too late (sometimes working to catch up from a hectic day, other times just zoning in front of a television or computer screen). This leads me to mindless eating, not shutting my mind off, and tossing and turning all night. I'm making it a goal to go to bed earlier with books and Bible, watch caffeine intake after 2 p.m., and simply relax as I head to bed. 

I'm also visiting the chiropractor more. It started with therapy on my hip (a result of crashing and falling over my bike in late August and landing on my left side of the body), but it's been so much more for my overall alignment and posture in my running and in life. It's made me more aware of how I sit in my car, office chair, sleep - everything I do is connected to how my body feels.

There you have it. Here's to a new year, fresh start, and new beginnings. Happy New Year!

No comments:

Visitors