Saturday, August 29, 2015

Another Year

We're T-minus three days until the little miss starts kindergarten. On one hand, I'm more than ready. All of her friends who are attending other schools in the area have been in school for two weeks now. Each day seems to get more and more difficult as it's almost like we're prolonging the inevitable.

On the other hand, I'm happy we're still clinging to summer - and to life as we've known it the last six years of her life.

Older grades started for Buhler schools this week. My heart skipped a beat as I did my usual morning run around the neighborhood and saw kids waiting at the bus stop, parents taking first-day pics on their porches, other kids walking, skateboarding, and biking to school using our new crosswalk and trail extension at the elementary school just across the street from our neighborhood development.

Each year, as my heart flutters with the back-to-school giddiness for them (and for teacher hubs), I would whisper to God - "thanks for another year" as I ran laps around the back-to-school crowd.

It was another year where we could enjoy a more relaxed morning. Another year where school started at 9 a.m. instead of 8 a.m. Another year where I didn't have to worry about packing a lunch. Another year where I could drop my sweet pea off at school for just a few hours, a few days a week. Another year where I could watch both kidlets giggle over lunch. Another year where I could give snuggles in the post-nap/post-quiet time grogginess.

Another year where she could spend most of her time at home - with her mama. 

And yet this weekend, as I'm buying sack lunch items, organizing the backpack, and timing our walk to school (7 minutes, 37 seconds!),  I'm whispering to God all the same.

Thank you, Lord, for another year. Another year that will bring routine changes. More ministry opportunities. A fuller schedule. A deeper love for my daughter. And a deeper love for You - who will protect and walk alongside her every step of the school day.

Thanks for another year, God.

No comments:

Visitors