Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Mama On The Run: Redemption Race


Why hello there.....it's Mama on the Run. I've taken a small break from specific Mama on the Run posts, but let me tell you - the running mileage has ramped up since recovering from emergency surgery in early April.

It's been the summer of heat and humidity - a runner's worst nightmare, especially when it's already feel-like 80 degree temps (or more) in the early morning hours before the sun comes out. There were plenty of slow and steady run-walks this summer as my body was getting back into shape post-surgery and adjusting to the "deadly" heat/humidity combo. I will say that I've run in a lot of super-hot temps, but adding humidity is just plain brutal. I think I'd take the super heat instead of super humidity any day!

I've done a variety of races - mostly with the family in tow - and it's been a blast....and very humbling. As I mentioned in a variety of posts before, I slogged my way through the Bill Snyder Half Marathon (with hubs beside me) in May, six weeks post-surgery; a month later, I pushed through our local Firecracker 5K and 1-mile; two weeks later I suffered through (it was a HUMID race!) a family-favorite 10K and 1-mile; and just two weeks ago I enjoyed the gleeful giggles of our newest runner in the family, Brax, as he joined in on a family-friendly run and then I did a new distance right after, an 8K (at 8:30 p.m., after a day of running 12 miles prior for a total of 17 miles on the day!).

I'm haven't been real vocal with it in blogger-world, but I'm running super-long miles these days for a redemption race, the Prairie Fire Marathon on Oct. 11. I tossed the idea around after not being able to run OKC in April due to surgery. I immediately had ruled a 26.2-mile race out, mainly because I didn't want it consuming my life or becoming an idol. But through continual prayer and talking with my husband, I committed to training for this one final full marathon for a while - to GOD be the glory through it all!

I've been blessed to work with my favorite running coach, Jenny Hadfield, on a customized training plan for this marathon. I've used her training plans for years (available on her website, in a variety of distances!), but this go-round she's been working with me on a personal basis as I'm building mileage and running post-surgery and throughout the hot/humid summer. She has been an incredible voice of reason and support through it all. I could go on and on about her (and have!), but if you're ever looking for a personal coach, training plans, or group accountability (through a private Facebook group I'm a part of!), I encourage you to visit her site and check out what she has to offer! CJ has a great way of not making running the reason in life! She understands the importance of running complimenting your life - not ruling it.

It's hard to believe, but there are only about 6 weeks left of training for Prairie Fire. Better yet? I "only" have an 18-miler, a half-marathon race, and a 20-miler left for the super long runs before it's taper time. I can't believe it! I'm thrilled that the end is in sight.....nervous about the 26.2 miles that are yet to come....hoping to finally race that 4:30 time goal.....and a bit relieved knowing that after Oct. 11, I can go back to running half-marathons, 10Ks, 5Ks, and other fun distances for the long while (if ever). I'm not the hugest fan of the full marathon distance and after (almost) 9-10 months of training for two (one never making the start line), plus the three marathons I did between 2007-2013, I'm beyond ready to get back to running those shorter distances!

As I prep for the upcoming high mileage weeks, awkward taper time, and race weekend itself, I'm reminded of God's continual goodness, mercy, and protection. It's my prayer that I glorify HIM in the race and the training that remains.
"Do you not know?
    Have you not heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God,
    the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
    and his understanding no one can fathom.
He gives strength to the weary
    and increases the power of the weak.

Even youths grow tired and weary,
    and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the Lord
    will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
    they will run and not grow weary,
    they will walk and not be faint."
- Isaiah 40:28-31

No comments:

Visitors