Saturday, October 10, 2015

Mama On The Run: The Night Before the Marathon

'Twas the night before the marathon and all through the house,
all others were sleeping, and I would, too except for the doubts,

Of running 26.2 miles the very next day,
With butterflies and nerves spinning away.

I toss and I turn, triple-checking the alarm,
To make sure I don't miss the buzz in the morn.

I finally fade and dream as I drift,
Of crossing the finish line, so strong and so swift.





This is it.

Just six months after an emergency female surgery that served up my first-ever marathon DNS, I'm back at it and looking to toe a new start line for my fourth marathon adventure.

This is what I've been working toward since I made the decision in late April to go for it (again). To prove that I could cross that finish line in 4:30, a goal I've had the last two marathons and it just hasn't happened due to a variety of elements (namely the hot weather, which looks like will happen in this race, too).

This season's training has been trying. Hard. Hot. Humid. Frustrating. Humbling. Tiring. Sad. Happy. Angry. Joyous. Prideful. Shameful. Heartful.

It's been my most difficult - both mentally and physically - because in essence, I've been in marathon mode since last December when I trained for the original one that didn't happen in April. (Side note: You can read all about my running adventures if you search Mama on the Run key words in this blog).

Most importantly, this training season has been filled with lots and lots of grace. God's grace - because only HE could continually work on my heart through all of the miles. He has been ever-so gracious and patient as He continually whispered reminders of WHO and WHY I was running this race in the first place.

In the morning, I run for Him. Thanking Him for that grace. For another chance to give glory to Him through every step I take along the 26.2 mile journey.

And to you, family and friends, thank you. Thanks for your prayers, for your words of wisdom, for your cheerleading. And to the incredible Coach Jenny - who took me on this marathon training season. You're the BEST coach this Kansas girl and mama on the run could ask for....it was an absolute treat getting weekly e-mails and workouts from you (and I'm still star-struck!).

Lord, may I run for YOU on Sunday. Each step. Each mile. To your glory.

"Yet those who wait for the Lord will gain new strength; They will mount up with wings like eagles, they will run and not get tired, they will walk and not become weary." - Isaiah 40:31





No comments:

Visitors