Sunday, November 8, 2015

Conviction from My 6-Year-Old


This simple note may not seem like much, but it was punch-in-the-gut conviction from my sweet pea.

Yesterday morning, in the midst of running around (late) to get ready for a race, Mackie took it upon herself to zip up her coat. Usually this isn't a problem - she's more than capable of zipping up her coat by herself. However, when the zipper is stuck and your personality is as stubborn as the zipper, it results in a broken zipper, a frustrated little girl, and an even more frustrated (and angry!) mama who asks why said frustrated girl didn't ask for help.

Anger got the best of me yesterday morning. And sadly, angry mama comes out far too often.

I yelled at Mackie and told her we didn't have time for the zipper to be broken or to try and fix it. That we didn't have the extra income right now to buy her a new coat due to the broken zipper.

How dramatic. And how sinful.

Her eyes immediately swelled with tears. Lip quivered. And my heart sunk. That stinkin' sinful heart of mine caused hers to break. Ugh.

We embraced and I asked her for forgiveness, shameful for not only breaking my daughter's heart, but showing her (again!) that my sinful flesh once again won out when things didn't go my way.

I left the kidlets and Jack to go run the race and came home to find the picture above on my dresser. Right after I left, Jack said Mackie went straight to her room and dumped out her piggy bank to count her money. She then wrote how much she had on the picture ($24) and told Jack she wanted to use her money to buy a new coat.

Wow, wow, wow.

Tears brim my eyes as I write this. My 6-year-old, showing her mama such love and grace and mercy and understanding.

She gets it. And I need to continually get more of it - through God's perfect and holy Word.

(And for those who wonder, we are not making her buy a new coat....we will work together on fixing it and showing love to each other while we do so.)

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." - 2 Corinthians 12:9



No comments:

Visitors