Happy (almost) New Year! It's this time of year when many of us reflect back on the last 365 days (or 366 days in 2016). We look back and marvel at how quickly the days, weeks, and months went, and yet - if you're like me - you wonder why you didn't have the time, gusto, or desire to accomplish all that you wanted to do for the year.
2016 represented awareness. My desire was to be in the moment more with my family, to know what I was putting into my body, to listen to my body when exercising, and to worship the King with more awareness.
I'm building on 2016 and working on PURPOSE for 2017. This year, my vision is to bring PURPOSE to the forefront of all areas of my life, including:
- Family-Career-Life Balance: A friend of mine introduced me to the Brilliant Life Planner this summer, and I couldn't wait for the 2017 version to arrive (especially as I move forward from part-time to full-time hours this year). This planner is intentional about living life on purpose and assisting busy mamas to dream, vision, and plan their way through their days, weeks, and months. It's more than a planner (which I love the hour by hour feature, as it allows me to put purpose to the hours in the day!), but also gives gentle reminders in reaching out to others, who and how to connect with others that week, etc. The planner also includes pages to vision map, dream, and goal set - something that I fail to do when caught up in the day-to-day survival mode of life with young kidlets. I'm already drooling over the planner and looking forward to using it with PURPOSE this coming year!
- Studying Scripture: Every few years I have the desire to read the Bible in its entirety for the next 365 days. I've tried several studies and apps, yet by the time I reach Numbers, I'm done for and feel overwhelmed. These next two years I'm going to read the Bible in its historical order to bring some order and PURPOSE in my understanding of the context. I'm also excited to walk alongside Jack and study the book of Colossians together through the He/She Reads Truth study. She Reads Truth is a fantastic resource for women wanting to dig into the Word!
- Racing to Compete: When it comes down to it, I enjoy signing up for races to hold me accountable and give me a reason to rise out of bed at oh-dark-thirty and run in the frigid cold, rain, intense humidity, and heat. But when I get to the races, more often than not I feel underprepared and not very confident. I cross the finish line thinking I could have done better, only to repeat with the next race. I gave myself a break in 2016 after a health scare in 2015, but that became my crutch. I'm excited (and nervous!) to dream big and go after some goals this year with various running adventures. For Christmas hubs gifted me with the Compete Training Journal in helping me get there! I'm eager to see the PURPOSE in every step of running this year - the preparation, training, racing, and recovery.
- Overall Health & Wellness: As much as I enjoy food prepping and meal planning, I go in spurts. And the hectic months of November and December completely threw me for a loop! I'm excited to get back to Sunday meal prep/planning and introducing my family to new foods and recipes. Jack and I also are making it a mission to read and/or do word puzzles before bed instead of binge watching (again and again!) The Office on Netflix. Hello, better night's sleep!
- Finances: My move to full-time office hours has given us a boost in our family's income. We're taking this year to plump up our savings account that dwindled throughout the past seven years as I worked part-time. I love looking back and seeing how God sweetly provided for us time and time again throughout these years - what a gift! We're also excited to commit to a ministry beyond our local church giving and see how the Lord uses our dear friends for His glory as they minister to churches across the United States.
- Home Life & Hospitality: I want our home to reflect our love for others. It's a safe place for my kidlets. It's an open door for the college kids who come throughout the year for parties, dinners, lunches, and fellowship gatherings. It's a place where you can guarantee the coffee will always be available, hot and strong. But far too often I'm comfortable in not letting the world in my home. It's easier and more comfortable for me to come straight home from work, close up the garage door, and slip into my jammies (at 6 p.m.!). This year I want to show my kids the PURPOSE of opening up our home - to the neighbor kids who want to play, to the drop-bys, to the couple or group of college/career guys and gals who desire to stop by to chat, to pray, to engage in one another's lives.
My ultimate purpose is for God to be glorified in all that I do. And when my plans and purposes aren't shining a light toward Him, it's all done in selfish vanity. I pray that I'm a light for Him this year and that His purposes are my purposes in life!
"Commit your plans to the Lord and your plans will be established." - Proverbs 16:3
Happy New Year! What are YOU dreaming and visioning about this coming year?